Requests: Carrier Administration
The Carrier Administration request is used to define which carriers are associated with the Resp Org and allows a Resp Org to act on behalf of a carrier within the TFNRegistry™ (tfnregistry.somos.com). Below are some scenarios for when this request would be used:
- A Resp Org would like to activate its own Carrier Identification Code (CIC) in the TFNRegistry.
- Once the Help Desk receives the Carrier Administration request and completes the process request, the Resp Org will be contacted to update (or activate) the Carrier Agreements with Entities (CAG) page in the TFNRegistry, in order to authorize which entities may use their CIC when creating Customer Records. Please see the steps below to update the CAG page.
- If a Resp Org has an Active CIC in the TFNRegistry but is not able to view its CIC when it is used in Customer Records under the control of other Resp Orgs.
- Carriers listed on the Resp Org Control (ROC) page are considered to be "managed carriers". A Resp Org is permitted to view the portions of Customer Records containing their CIC. Only the CICs that are associated with the company’s Resp Org ID may be listed on the Carrier Administration request.
- Resp Orgs wanting to manage the CIC of a non-Resp Org.
- A letter from the company that wants to activate its CIC in the TFNRegistry must be received by the Help Desk. This letter should state that the company authorizes the chosen Resp Org to manage its CIC in the TFNRegistry. The letter may be attached to a Special Request.
- The Resp Org will enter their Resp Org ID and the non-Resp Org’s ACNA and CIC on the Carrier Administration request. This action will allow the Resp Org to view the part of any Customer Records that use the specified CIC.
- In the notes section of the Carrier Administration request, the Resp Org will need to state that they agree to accept responsibility for the specific CIC.
Once the Help Desk receives the request and completes the process of establishing the CIC in the TFNRegistry, the Resp Org will be contacted to update the CAG page in the TFNRegistry, in order to authorize which entities may use its CIC. Please see the steps below to update the CAG page.
Updating the CAG Page
The Carrier Agreements with Entities (CAG) page must be updated by the Resp Org who is managing the Carrier Identification Code (CIC). In order for someone to update the CAG page, the user must have a minimum-security level of "CR + S" on their User Profile with Somos which can be updated on the Somos Portal Website (portal.somos.com). To obtain this permission, the user needs to reach out to their Resp Org's Primary Contact, Company Administrator(s) or User Administrator(s) for further assistance.
- Please Note: Only the Security Administration team at the Help Desk can adjust the security levels for the TFNRegistry users once the updated User Profile request has been submitted by the Resp Org's Primary Contact, Company Administrator(s) or User Administrator(s).
In the TFNRegistry, select the "Menu" icon in the upper left hand corner and then enter "CAG" in the search field. After the "Carrier Agreements with Entities (CAG)" menu item appears and has been selected, enter the "Carrier (CIC)" in the corresponding field and then the "Retrieve" button. In the Results portion of the page, to add new Entities (the first 2 characters of the Resp Org ID), select the "Number" drop down list to the left of the "Plus Sign (+)" icon. New Entity fields can be added in increments of 1, 5, 10 and 20. Once the Number drop down is set to the desired number of new Entity fields, simply select the "Plus Sign (+)" icon to add them. Please Note: The symbol ** may be entered in the first open slot if the Resp Org wishes to allow all Resp Orgs permission to use this CIC or they can enter the first 2 alpha characters of its own Resp Org and any other Resp Org they wish to approve for use of this CIC.
To delete any unneeded Entity fields, select the gray x (X). This will change the X to a red color. When the "Submit" button has been selected, the unneeded Entity fields will be removed. If you would like to remove all Entities for the CIC and start fresh, select the "Delete" icon in the upper right corner of the CAG page. To save your changes, simply select the "Submit" button when ready.
Establishment of an ACNA or CIC
If a company does not have an established Carrier Identification Code (CIC) and would like to do so, they may contact the North American Number Plan Administrator (NANPA) at 866-623-2282 or via email at email@example.com.
If a company would like to activate its CIC in Canada, they may contact the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) at 819-997-0313 or via their website https://crtc.gc.ca/.
If a company does not have an ACNA, and would like to obtain one, they may contact the Common Language Group at 732-699-5577.
It is each company’s responsibility to work with the Service Control Point (SCP) Owner/Operator (O/O) companies to ensure that their CIC information has been correctly entered into each of the SCPs.