This introduces fundamental concepts of entering complex call routing information in the TFNRegistry™.
Please Note: Calls to a Toll-Free Number (TFN) can be routed through several carriers and/or to several destination numbers.
- There is more than one IntraLATA carrier.
- There is more than one InterLATA carrier.
- There is more than one POTS destination number.
- Vertical features, such as time-of-day routing, will be used for the TFN service.
Call Routing Tree Example: For example, a Toll-Free end user wants to call from a certain Area Code(s) (also known as an Numbering Plan Area (NPA)) to be routed by carrier YYY and calls from other Area Code to be routed by carrier ZZZ. To enter such a call routing scheme in the CR, follow the two step process (the first step is optional, the second step is required):
- Step 1 (Optional): Draw a call routing diagram, to help clarify all of the relevant criteria for routing the calls.
- Step 2 (Required): Enter the appropriate call routing instructions in the CPR Call Routing Matrix.
Call Routing Diagram: The figure below shows the call routing diagram for the introductory Chicago/Milwaukee example.
Analysis of the Call Routing Diagram: In the above diagram, there are two conditions that affect how the call is routed. The first condition is the Area Code that the call originated from. The left side of the diagram represents calls made from the 732 Area Code. The right side represents calls made from an Area Code “other” than 732.
Please Note: The keyword “OTHER” is used on the right side of the diagram to represent all Area Codes other than 732.
If the NPA is 732: The decision tree identifies the process that will follow if the originating call has the Area Code 732. The NXX is then qualified by determining if the NXX is a value of 699 or 494 or another value.
- If the NXX value is 699 or 494 then the Carrier ZZZ is used to route the call to the terminating number 800-234-5678.
- If the NXX value is categorized as “OTHER” then the Carrier YYY is used to route the call to the terminating number 800-234-5678.
If the NPA is not 732: The decision tree identifies that all originating calls that do not have an NPA of 732 are categorized as “OTHER” and the Carrier YYY is used to route the call to the terminating number 800-234-5678.
CPR Call Routing Matrix: Based on the information in the Call Routing Diagram, the Call Routing Matrix reflects the decision criteria. The Decision and Action Nodes are identified by the columns and each row identifies associated criteria used to determine how to proceed.
Learn more about this topic in the following video!
Disclaimer: This video is intended to be used as a guide for educational purposes only. Pages shown in the video may differ slightly from the Production Environment.